Saturday, October 14, 2006

A 3 Hour Conversation

After our weekly meeting tonight a number of students gathered together to make follow-up calls for students who received Real Life Kits. As we shared some Pizza and prepared to make the phone calls, a number of Muslim students came into the office to use a room for prayer and break their Ramadan fast (we share space in the Interfaith Center). I recognized one of them from a few conversations we have had in the past. I asked Morshed about how Muslims pray and we engaged in a good conversation.

Otmane soon joined in the conversation and shared how he also received a Real Life Kit last year and seemed to really appreciate the New Testament. As our conversation continued, they invited me out to eat with them so that they could answer my questions about prayer. I humbly accepted their invitation and went to a local restaurant.

They quickly turned the conversation to trying to show me through my own Bible how Jesus was only a prophet. I was surprised on how familiar they were with Scripture. It reminded me of exchanges that I have had with Jehovah's Witnesses... often taking verses out of context and not waiting to give me a chance to give explanations to their misquotes and questions.

Their reaction to my testimony surprised me the most. They seemed very intrigued as I shared how I came to faith in Christ and my initial undeniable encounter with God. I then shared my Toe story (for those who have not heard it, God healed my badly injured Toe in a undeniable direct answer to prayer). At first they seemed stunned, but to my surprise they started to down-play supernatural healing, almost denying that it is possible. In their faith they are taught that prayer is answered only through patience and perseverance. There must have been some sort of logical explanation! That really surprised me as I thought Muslims had more faith than that. I was also surprised on their view of God's love and grace, their view of God is not at all a loving God as we know him to be.

We continued to talk a lot about Jesus. It seems that they have really been sold the lie of Jesus only being a Prophet. One of the verses that they used out of context to prove their point was Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind." Of course they would let me explain the context of the verse and seemed convinced that the Koran didn't need to be broken down and explained in context. "The meaning of the Koran is plain to all!" they say.

I was able to shed some light on the truth about Jesus. It was a good and pleasant exchange , however they just couldn't fathom God becoming Man. It was absurd to them. They pleasantly invited me to attend their Ramadan Fast-a-thon. We exchanged contact information and they invited me to email them explanations to their scripture contradictions.

Please pray that the Lord will reveal his love and truth to Otmane and Morshad, also please pray that the Lord would give me wisdom in how to witness more effectively to Muslims.

I will keep you posted on what God does in them as I continue our dialogue. Our adventure with God continues at SFU. Thank you for your faithful prayers and support.

God Bless,

Gary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home